24. Oktober 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Save the Children suspends migrant rescues in Mediterranean“ · Kategorien: Italien · Tags: , ,

Reuters | 24.10.2017

International humanitarian group Save the Children said on Monday it had suspended migrant rescues in the Mediterranean Sea as departures from Libya slow and security conditions worsen.

Save the Children has operated a ship, the Vos Hestia, since September last year, rescuing more than 10,000 migrants from dangerous and overcrowded boats launched by people smugglers.

“For too long we have been the substitution for the inexistent and inadequate European policies for search and rescue and for hosting migrants,” Save the Children Director General Valerio Neri said in a statement.

Italian police searched the Vos Hestia on Monday as part of a wider investigation into the role non-government organisations are playing in picking up migrants off the Libya coast and bringing them to Italy. Save the Children said its decision to halt rescues was already planned before the police search.

Earlier this year, the government asked humanitarian groups to sign a “code of conduct”. The government said the rescuers were providing an incentive for smugglers to put migrants to sea.

Police in August seized a migrant rescue boat operated by a German aid group Jugend Rettet. The chief prosecutor in the Sicilian city of Trapani said he had evidence of encounters between traffickers, who escorted illegal immigrants to the NGO boat, and members of its crew.

Jugend Rettet denied any wrongdoing.

Save the Children said in a statement it was not under investigation and was cooperating with authorities. The documents seized by police on Monday concerned “presumed illegal actions committed by third persons”, it said.

Several months ago some 10 rescue ships took turns patrolling the North African coast, picking up migrants who reached international waters and bringing them to Italy.

Now only one large ship and a few small ones remain, with many organisations — including Doctors Without Borders — pulling out for various reasons, including security concerns and unhappiness with the attitude of the Italian authorities.

The Libyan Coast Guard, funded and trained by Italy, has taken a hostile stance towards the humanitarian boats in a series of incidents on the high seas.

In August, a Libyan vessel intercepted a charity ship and ordered it to sail to Tripoli or risk being fired on.

Departures from Libya have fallen dramatically since July, when an armed group that had been deeply involved in smuggling from the city of Sabratha began blocking departures.

So far in October sea arrivals to Italy are down more than 75 percent compared with the same month last year.

:::::

Obwohl Save the Children sich verpflichtet hat, mit der italienischen Küstenwache zusammenzuarbeiten, und den entsprechenden Verhaltenscodex der italienischen Regierung unterschrieben hat, wurde ihr Schiff nun doch auf Anordnung der Staatsanwaltschaft von Trapani im Hafen von Catania durchsucht. Der Vorwurf lautet: Begünstigung der illegalen Einwanderung.

Il Manifesto | 24.10.2017

Migranti, perquisita la nave di Save the Children

Marina Della Croc

Gli agenti hanno aspettato che entrasse in porto a Catania, poi sono saliti a bordo e l’hanno perquisita su ordine della procura di Trapani che da mesi conduce un’inchiesta in cui si ipotizza il reato di favoreggiamento dell’immigrazione clandestina. Nel mirino questa volta è finita la nave Vos Hestia della Ong Save the Children, una delle più attive in passato nella ricerca e salvataggio dei migranti nel Mediterraneo centrale. Operazioni che la Ong ha sempre dichiarato di aver svolto coordinandosi con la sala operativa della Guardia costiera a Roma, ma che secondo i pm trapanesi Andrea Tarondo e Antonio Sgarella, che hanno firmato l’ordine di perquisizione, si sarebbero svolte in seguito ad contatti tra alcuni membri del personale che si trovava a bordo e i trafficanti di esseri umani in Libia. Contatti dei quali adesso i pm sperano di trovare traccia nel materiale sequestrato a bordo: due computer portatili , due tablet, i computer della nave, un telefono satellitare, un cellulare e un hard disk esterno , oltre al giornale di bordo della Vos Hestia dall’agosto 2016 a oggi e al brogliaccio di navigazione dal 1 gennaio 2017 a oggi. Materiale che si trovava sia in plancia di comando che in alcune cabine ed era in possesso del comandante Paolo Alfonso Russo, del team leader di Save the Children Roman Lasjuilliarias, al vice leader Javier Garcia Cortes, all’addetta alla logistica Paloma Gonzales Fernandez e al mediatore culturale Hassan Ali Sayed Salem.

Al termine della perquisizione, l’organizzazione si è detta completamente estranea ai fatti che hanno portato i militari a bordo della sua nave. La documentazione oggetto della ricerca – spiega Save the Children in una nota – «come si evince dallo stesso decreto di perquisizione» è «relativa a presunte condotte illecite commesse da terze persone».

L’inchiesta dei magistrati trapanesi è la stessa che ha già portato ad agosto al sequestro della nave Iuventa della Ong tedesca Jugend Rettet e nata dalle dichiarazioni rese ai magistrati dal alcuni addetti alla sicurezza che so trovavano proprio a bordo della nave di Save the Children, che avevano inviato una mail ad un funzionario dei servizi segreti italiani segnalando che alcune Ong avrebbero in qualche maniera favorito l’immigrazione clandestina. A bordo della stessa nave si trovava però anche un agente infiltrato del Servizio centrale operativo (Sco) che aveva filmato e fotografato alcune fasi dei soccorsi in mare della Juventa e della stessa Vos Hestia.
«Tutte le operazioni sono state sono state condotte in strettissimo coordinamento con la Guardia costiera italiana e nella massima collaborazione con le autorità», ha ribadito ieri Save the Children, annunciando la sospensione delle operazioni di salvataggio nel Mediterraneo.

Ähnliche Beiträge

Kommentare geschlossen.