10. Juli 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Italian ship carrying migrants turned away from Italian ports · Kategorien: Italien, Libyen · Tags:

BBC News | 10.07.2018

A commercial ship flying the Italian flag, and carrying dozens of rescued migrants, was refused permission to dock at Italian ports.

The Vos Thalassa, a supply ship which serves oil rigs in the Mediterranean, rescued 66 people adrift off the Libyan coast, Italian media report.

After being turned away from Italian ports, it handed the migrants over to the Italian coastguard.

Italy’s government has blocked charity rescue ships from its ports for weeks.

Senior officials have accused the humanitarian groups of operating a „taxi service“ for migrants, which they say endangers lives by encouraging human smuggling.

The Vos Thalassa, however, is an Italian vessel, rather than a foreign-flagged charity ship, and was not specifically on a search-and-rescue mission.

It is the first time a private Italian ship has been blocked from the ports of its home country because of the migrant policy.

International maritime law requires any ship that encounters an emergency to make its way to the area quickly and offer assistance.

Italian officials, however, said that the Vos Thalassa did not need to intervene, as the Libyan coastguard was on its way.

Italian media quoted officials saying that the Libyan coastguard was closer, but the Vos Thalassa chose to travel to the ship.

Italy’s transport minister, Danilo Toninelli, tweeted that he was proud of the coastguard for taking on the migrants „who were endangering the life of the Italian cruiser Vos Thalassa“.

He said there would now be an investigation to „punish troublemakers“.

The Vos Thalassa was also involved in a similar incident involving 212 migrants in June.

Escalating policy

Italy’s hardline new policy on rescue ships comes from its new government – a populist coalition of the anti-establishment Five Star Movement and right-wing League.

Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, from the League party, promised to take a tough stance on migration during the campaign.

Since June, there have been several major diplomatic rows over the fate of migrant rescue ships bound for Italy – traditionally a first port of call for charity ships carrying those found at sea.

The Aquarius, carrying 629 people, was refused entry to Italy, and was stranded in the Mediterranean for days while European politicians argued over its fate. It eventually docked in Spain.

A second ship, the Lifeline, was also refused when it sought to dock with more than 200 rescued people.

It eventually docked in Malta, but was impounded by authorities. Its captain faces charges of breaking international law and entering Maltese waters improperly – charges that he denies.

And the Open Arms, run by a Spanish NGO, was also refused permission to dock earlier this month with its 59 rescued passengers. It returned to Spain.

The hardline stance on the Vos Thalassa is the latest firm statement from Mr Salvini, and it comes ahead of Wednesday’s meeting of EU interior ministers to discuss migration.

Germany is also grappling with the issue, as Chancellor Angela Merkel’s coalition has faced down a row that threatened to pull it apart.

Her interior minister, Horst Seehofer, is keen to strengthen Germany’s borders. On Tuesday, he unveiled what he calls a „migration masterplan“ – including proposals for temporary checkpoints on motorways from neighbouring countries, from which there is usually free travel.

He also wants to take a tough stance on the small number of refugees arriving in Germany from other EU countries where they have claimed asylum – and wants to send them back.

That, however, is unacceptable to his Italian counterpart, Mr Salvini. He told Italy’s Il Messaggero newspaper that he would stop any such return.

Italy instead wants a focus on securing Europe’s external borders – and eliminating the problem of unwanted migration at its source.

:::::

DW | 10.07.2018

Italiens Küstenwache nimmt Flüchtlinge an Bord

Italiens Küstenwache hat von einem Versogungsboot 66 Migranten übernommen. Dies bestätigte Verkehrsminister Danilo Toninelli. Zuvor war der Besatzung des Bootes untersagt worden, die Menschen an Land zu bringen.

Nachdem einige der Flüchtlinge offenbar gewaltsam gegen eine Übergabe an die libysche Küstenwache protestiert hatten, wurden sämtliche Geretteten auf ein Schiff der italienischen Küstenwache“Guardia Costiera“ (Archivbild) gebracht.

Aus dem Umfeld des Verkehrsministeriums verlautete, dass die Geretteten nun nach Italien gebracht würden. Das Innenministerium wollte das allerdings nicht bestätigen. Dort hieß es, die unter italienischer Flagge fahrende „Vos Thalassa“ habe die Flüchtlinge am Montag aufgenommen, obwohl ihm mitgeteilt worden sei, libysche Patrouillenboote seien zu ihrer Rettung unterwegs. Der Schlepper versorgt Ölplattformen im Mittelmeer vor der Küste Libyens.

Salvini bleibt hart

Innenminister Matteo Salvini beharrte kurz vor dem Treffen mit seinem deutschen Kollegen Horst Seehofer in Innsbruck darauf, sein Land werde keine Flüchtlinge aus Deutschland zurücknehmen, die bereits in Italien registriert wurden. Dafür gebe es keine Pläne, sagte der Lega-Chef der Zeitung „Il Messaggero“. „Das ist das Letzte, das geschehen könnte.“ CSU-Chef Seehofer trifft sich ab Mittwoch mit seinen EU-Kollegen in Innsbruck, dämpfte aber Hoffnungen auf rasche Beschlüsse zu den von Deutschland angepeilten bilateralen Rücknahmeabkommen für bereits registrierte Flüchtlinge.

Die neue italienische Regierung, an der auch die ausländerfeindliche Lega beteiligt ist, will, dass gerettete Migranten nicht nach Europa kommen, sondern nach Libyen zurückgeführt werden. Lega-Chef und Innenminister Matteo Salvini hat Rettungsschiffen von Hilfsorganisationen die Einfahrt in italienische Häfen verwehrt und will dies auch für ausländische Marineschiffe durchsetzen, die als Teil von EU-Rettungsmissionen unterwegs sind.

Verfahren auf Malta

Unterdessen haben die Justizbehörden auf Malta das deutsche Schiff durchsucht. Gegen den Kapitän des Rettungsschiffs, Claus-Peter Reisch, läuft ein Verfahren. Wie die Tageszeitung „Malta Today“ in ihrer Online-Ausgabe berichtete, ging es bei der Inspektion vor allem um die Daten der an Bord befindlichen Computer. Den Einspruch von Reischs Anwälten, die Durchsuchung sei für die Vorwürfe im Zusammenhang mit der Registrierung des Schiffs in den Niederlanden nicht relevant, wies das Gericht in Valletta zurück.

Laut maltesischer Schifffahrtsbehörde ist das deutsche Rettungsschiff in den Niederlanden nur über einen Yachtclub angemeldet und damit staatenlos. Ein Schiff, das nicht unter der Flagge eines Staates fahre, darf demnach nicht in internationalen Gewässern fahren. Die „Lifeline“ wurde von den Behörden beschlagnahmt. Dem Kapitän droht im Falle einer Verurteilung eine Haftstrafe von bis zu einem Jahr.

Das deutsche Rettungsschiff hatte vor knapp zwei Wochen nach mehrtägiger Wartezeit erst die Erlaubnis zum Einlaufen in den Hafen von Malta erhalten, als acht EU-Staaten sich zur Aufnahme von 234 vor der libyschen Küste geretteten Flüchtlinge bereiterklärt hatten. Kurz darauf signalisierte auch Norwegen seine Bereitschaft, einen Teil der Geretteten aufzunehmen. Italien und Malta hatten ihre Häfen im Juni für Rettungsschiffe geschlossen.

cgn/sti (dpa, rtr)

Ähnliche Beiträge

Kommentare geschlossen.